Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Cormorant-rant


We don't bat an eyelid at seeing a cormorant on the cut these days. We've even seen them in Paddington basin. But did you know that this bird, a protected species, has increased its population so much that in large areas of East Anglia it has had a disastrous effect on the ecosystem of the rivers and waterways. Apparently they have devoured so many fish, that the once ubiquitous roach can scarcely be found in that part of the country. The other predators, pike, perch, herons don't get a look in because the cormorant is such an efficient and hungry fish catcher.


I'm told that the RSPB is oblivious to requests to take steps to limit the spread of the cormorant. I suppose they like to watch birds (as I do) but can't be bothered about the rest of the ecosystem. Well, all I can say is I'm not impressed!

No comments: