Friday, March 07, 2008

Clearing up

The last full day in the wet dock. We did very little painting today, just a few touch up spots and a second coat on the swan neck that connects the rudder to the tiller.

It took us the rest of the day to clear up the rubbish and sort out the paint and brushes etc. At the same time I had a good sort out of the lockers on the rear deck and got rid of much of the accumulated empty jars and cans , rags, etc. Also from now on I think we'll keep less clag on the roof.

Our rear button fender had practically disintegrated with old age but I noticed a better one lying in the yard outside and persuaded Mark at the dock to sell it to me cheaply.

At 9am tomorrow we take Herbie back outdoors and home to our moorings at Iver. We still have a couple of small paint jobs to do in the coming weeks, and of course the cabin sides have never been redone, but Herbie looks a lot smarter now even than when we bought her. Was it worth all the aches and pains, stress, worry, dust and grime, exhaustion and money? Yes of course, but I wouldn't want to do it too often.

Tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of her as she looks on the canal.

No comments: