Monday, August 25, 2008

Lack of fibre on the Kennet

I'm such a whimp. Just finished reading Narrow Dog to Indian River in which Terry and Monica Darlington take their narrowboat down alligator infested rivers and across vast bays and swirling estuaries. Then this afternoon we took a stroll along the Kennet just west of Reading grazing on blackberries and I say "Ooh the current looks a bit strong, I wouldn't want to take Herbie up here today". Then after a while I complain of feeling hot and sweaty as it's a bit close, and I remember how in the book they endure 100 degree heat and 100% humidity.

I like the Kennet, full of humungous fish and drifting in and out of the K&A canal as it does. I particularly like the saw tooth weir next to Fobney pumping station. The water seems actually has a curved surface over the teeth. Then there is the house next to Southcote lock. I don't often covet other people's houses but in this case I'll make an exception.

No comments: