Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A non trivial welding job



I was admiring the lines of this boat on the hard standing at our boatyard and noticing a group of the staff stroking their chins whilst peering underneath..

Closer inspection revealed why. You hear about steel getting thin on boats but on this one you didn't need an ultrasound tester to diagnose it. some big patches were visibly thinned out and as for this spot . . . . Obviously a lovely boat like this is well worth saving. I dare say the inside is a nice home for someone. However, overplating the luscious curves of this hull is a non trivial task and will take some skill and know how. I'll be interested to see if it gets done at the yard and if I can get some photos of progress I'll post them here.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

I agree Neil. Far too good to waste! This is the sort of thing that goes on every day at our harbour here in Rotterdam. Most of us who live here have been through this type of worrying work, myself included. Perhaps some of our guys could come and help :)