Thursday, October 10, 2013

So far so good

Now heading South we reached the Narrowboat inn near Weedon this evening, and had our first meal out this trip. We were impressed. Smart place, very good service and very good grub. A bit dearer than many pubs but during Oct and Nov they have a twenty percent discount offer if you get a voucher off their web site. They had a Charles Wells beer called DNA which I would look out for if I were you.

On the way down we visited the little farm shop adjacent to the bottom but one lock at Whilton. By 'eck they have some lovely stuff in there. The meat especially (veggies look away now). Good old fashioned cuts like skirt and lamb fillet from their own animals , hung for ages. Old fashioned breeds and cross breeds too. Dexter beef, old spot Tamworth cross pigs etc. Pies, cakes, chutneys and all that. Lovely.

I was a very proud grandpa when one of the volunteer lockies at Watford locks was telling us how he had been telling people about the smart little girl he saw operating the locks in the summer. That was our Grace!

Do you remember me telling you I was writing a novel? Well I am back hard at it and have now written 39,589 words. I can't wait to find out what happens next. I have never done this before but it's amazing how characters take on a life of their own and go where they will. It's like I have no control over it and am merely a reporter. Some time very soon I'm going to bite the bullet and let some friends read it so they can tell me what a load of rubbish it is. If, as I suspect, it is rubbish, then I can blame the characters for acting so stupidly.

Stoke Bruerne tomorrow and we have a date with Kathryn of Leo No 2 fame, now a resident of SB. Really looking forward to it.

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write a lot of non-fiction, which do include vignettes - I'm always amazed at how organic the writing process is - even a list of the properties of the endocrine system can go wandering off at a tangent!

Good luck with keeping the novel under control - looking forward to reading it one day :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

p.s. we think of you often - can't believe it's been so long since we've seen you. I've added the yeast to our home-grown cider apple juice today - maybe a late December tasting session???

Adam said...

Looks as though we'll pass you on Saturday!

nb Chance said...

Thanks for the comment Kath, we are hoping to be in London until the end of the month if you do head this far be great to see you both.

Vallypee said...

Neil, I'd love to be one of your readers, I really would! I like the way you say "I wonder what's going to happen next". That's exactly how it went with both my novels! Keep at it and at the very least let me know when it's finished. I will be after a copy for sure!

Neil Corbett said...

Val

I am sending it out to one or two test readers after which I may serialise it on a blog. I am finding that it is easier to get your main chapter into a tight spot, than getting him out of it!