Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ups and downs of boating.

Blimey, we Brits do get some weather don't we? What a difference a few hours can make. Yesterday, after a fairly pleasant morning we had one of the most horrible cruising afternoons I can remember. As we left Leighton Buzzard we had a hard hailstorm followed by nasty cold rain as we approached Soulbury Three Locks. The locks themselves were near flooded with water pouring over all the gates. I wondered if they would ever empty to let us down but it was OK. We moored up just round the corner, cold and shivering. I began to wonder if I was going off this boating lark.

Then this morning was absolutely glorious. Blue skies and sunshine, birds singing, daffodils and white violets all over the place. It was really lovely. Mind you I always liked the stretch between Soulbury and Fenny, one of my favourite bits of canal anywhere, and the lock at Stoke Hammond ought to win prizes. It's always kept nicely and today they had daffs, hyacinths, polyanthus and other bits and pieces all round.

Now a few hours later here I am moored up in Fenny and the weather is ghastly again. We had a thunderstorm earlier and one bit of lightning landed only yards away. For the first time I actually felt the sidewall of the cabin bounce with the shock wave.

The evening before last was a real treat. We arranged to moor up next to Jill and Graham on Matilda Rose so we could spend the evening with them before they depart for continental waters in a couple of weeks time. And a great night it was, although perhaps not the soberest I've ever had. What with them leaving us soon, it's too late to tell you that she is a great cook, but she is. She knocked up a delish beany chorizoey stew from odds and ends and secret ingredients fro her enormous spice collection. As for the alcohol, probably the least said the better. Anyway we had a great night. Thanks guys.

Going further back in the week, we arrived back at the boat at Cowroast on Monday, having been home for the weekend and had the pleasure of the company (and help down Marsworth locks) of old friends Ray and Maureen. What a sociable cruise we've been having. Since we left Iver on 7 March we've only spend about three days cruising on our own. Now Kath has abandoned me for the weekend while she goes off galivanting with her lace making buddies, it seems strangely quiet. Apart from the rain hammering on the roof that is.

2 comments:

Llosgi said...

I've just been catching up on Herbie postings. The trip aboard the real ale train sounds a wonderful way to remember your dear friend.
That's a great wide-shot photo at Black Jacks lock, I must see if my fancy phone can do such things!
I agree about the wildly changing weather. It can lift and dash the spirits in one day.
I'm drawing, listening to Eric's blues - thank you!

Jill, Matilda Rose said...

You've made me blush. Thanks for re-arranging you plans so that we could meet up. It was a great evening - my apologies for drinking all your beer rations!!